points - Details)
Zinn & the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance is the world’s best-selling guide to the maintenance and repair of mountain bikes, hybrids, and fat bikes. From basic repairs like how to fix a flat to advanced overhauls of drivetrains and brakes, Lennard Zinn’s clearly illustrated guide makes every bike repair and maintenance job easy for everyone.
Lennard Zinn is the world’s leading expert on bike maintenance and repair. His friendly, step-by-step guide explains the tools and parts you’ll need and how to know you’ve done the job right. The book’s two-color interior is easy to read―even in a dimly-lit garage or workshop. Hundreds of hand-drawn illustrations and exploded-parts diagrams show just the right level of detail to lead you through every mountain bike repair task.
This smartly organized guide shows how to repair new and old mountain bikes from top to bottom. In over 500 pages and more than 750 illustrations, Zinn’s guide includes simple instructions for hundreds of mountain bike maintenance and repair jobs:
· Basics: How to fix a flat tire, lube a bicycle chain, adjust the brakes
· Emergency repairs: How to fix a broken chain, tighten loose spokes, repair a bent derailleur
· Easy shifting: How to adjust shifters, derailleurs, and cables for clean and smooth shifting
· Wheels: How to true a wheel, install a new tire, change a cassette, replace broken spokes, build your own wheels
· Overhauls: How to service and replace pedals, chains and chainrings, saddles, handlebars, stems, headsets, forks, bottom brackets
· New tech: How to maintain 1x-speed systems, electronic and wireless shifters
· Troubleshooting: How to figure out what’s wrong with any bike and fix it
Zinn & the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance makes bicycle repair and maintenance easy, quick, affordable, and fun. With Zinn at your side, you’ll know how to keep your bicycle running smoothly for years.
What’s New in Zinn & the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance, 6th Ed.:
· New chapter on electronic shifting covers maintenance, service, repair, and troubleshooting of all Shimano electronic shifting groups. Also included: How to program your electronic shifting system for personalized shifting as well as real-time display and shift recording on a head unit.
· New chapter on disc brakes covers maintenance, service, and repair of all hydraulic and mechanical systems. Includes integrated systems and their bleeding requirements.
· New guides on how disc brake mounting adapters work and how to install them.
· Complete info on the new 11-speed and SRAM 12-speed drivetrains.
· Info on all the newest bottom brackets including 1×11 and 1×12 systems.
· New guidelines on wheel size selection for your frame size, suspension settings, and travel.
· New procedures for mounting and sealing tubeless tire systems.
· New usage guidelines for flat-prevention sealants.
· Updated guides on replacing press-in bottom brackets with thread-in bottom brackets.
· New wheel lacing guidelines for building disc-brake compatible wheels.
· More than 750 comprehensive illustrations and exploded views including 150 new or revised illustrations.
· Updated and expanded guides on how to tune, rebuild, and maintain suspension forks and rear shocks. Includes tuning guides for preload, compression, rebound, and sag.
· Updated and revised troubleshooting tables, torque tables, and gearing charts for 26”, 27.5”, and 29” bikes.
· Also covered in the 6th edition: All derailleur shifting systems; all bottom bracket systems; all brake systems; all headset, stem, handlebar and fork systems; wheelbuilding for all bikes; updated and expanded torque tables; complete indexes of all illustrations and topics covered.
Whether you’re riding a classic Stumpjumper or a carbon-fiber race machine, Zinn has got you covered!
From the Publisher
Zinn & the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance
Clear, easy-to-follow instructions will guide you through hundreds of bike maintenance and repair jobs, from basic maintenance to emergency repairs to complete overhauls and upgrades. Pro Tips offer clever shortcuts that will help you do the job in less time.
These carefully drawn diagrams give just the right amount of detail on every bike component so that you can see clearly how each part goes together, with every piece labeled for easy reference. The sixth edition has more than 750 hand-drawn illustrations and exploded diagrams including 150 new illustrations.
Tools and Tool Kits
Whether you are stocking your workshop or tackling a repair, you need the right tools for the job. Zinn’s tool kits give you the heads-up you need to make sure you can finish what you start without extra steps or trips to the store. Zinn shows what the tools look like and what they’re for, and every chapter has itemized tool lists for specific areas of the bike. Tasks and tools throughout the book are divided into three levels based on complexity or required proficiency.
All throughout the book, troubleshooting charts give you a quick and easy way to diagnose specific bike problems, as well as chapters or sections where you can find Zinn’s instructions on how to fix them.