(as of Mar 18,2021 10:40:23 UTC – Details)
Cycling Europe: Great Day Rides tells you everything you need to know to take over 90 interesting and beautiful self-guided single day cycling rides in Europe while staying in any of over 30 fascinating European cities. Rent a bike locally and head out of town on your adventure on some of the great rides in Europe – without having to move your luggage as you would with point-to-point cycle touring. Whether you are on a general European vacation or even on business in Europe, and want to add some riding beyond the standard city tour — this book is for you! Ride on these generally flat routes on your rented bike — maybe even an e-bike. Have your companion join you on the biking, or meet up later in the day while they enjoy these wonderful base cities.
Michael Lyon has been cycle touring in Europe each summer for more than 25 years, and is the author of the successful and highly reviewed cycle touring book providing for point-to-point cycle touring: “Cycling Along Europe’s Rivers: Bicycle Touring Made Easy and Affordable.”
“Cycling Europe: Great Day Rides” gives you the information you need for these wonderful day rides:
- Over 30 base cities and 90 day rides in Europe – with many of these cities possibly already on your vacation literary!
- Each base city provides up to four suggestions for diﬀerent day rides without the logistics of carrying your luggage and moving hotels daily. Includes suggestions for using trains or river boats for your return to facilitate longer one-way rides.
- Cities are all interesting places to stay and enjoy the evenings. Each city provides days of terriﬁc fun and exploration for any non-riders travelling companions.
- Fantastic routes, mostly ﬂat easy terrain, generally well-marked, and most often along bike trails following Europe’s beautiful river network. Much more than city day rides!
- Where to go, how to get there, where to stay, where to rent bikes, what to bring, when to go, and how to prepare.
- Over 30 custom maps providing route overviews, color in Kindle format.
Note that this book does not provide detailed turn-by-turn directions, but rather route overviews with target cities for navigation, interesting stops, and overnights. Most of these routes are well-marked and with easy navigation, and that is all you need, although more detailed maps and GPS are available for more directions.
Stay in amazing, beautiful, and interesting cities as a base while day riding — some more well-known, and others open for discovery — plenty to see and do for non-riding companions and for when you are finished riding. In France: Loire Valley (Amboise and Blois), Nantes, Strasbourg, and Colmar. In Germany: Frankfurt, Koblenz, Rosenheim, Trier, Heidelberg, Stuttgart, Passau, Munich, Hamburg, Berlin, Bremen, and Bremerhaven. In Italy: Verona, Venice, Padua, and Florence. In The Netherlands: Rotterdam, Haarlem, and Amsterdam. In Central Europe: Vienna, Bratislava, Budapest, and Prague. Lake Rides: Lake Bodensee, Lake Balaton, and Lake Neusiedl.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Michael Lyon has been touring each summer in Europe since 1994, first with his uncle and then the last six years with his son on their Pino Tandem. He is the author of the leading cycle touring book, “Cycling Along Europe’s Rivers”. He has cycled extensively in Western Europe, and several years ago rode from Saigon to Hanoi in Vietnam. When not cycling, Mike practices law with a focus on the new commercial space sector, and was an organizer of the first space tourist flights on the Soyuz rocket.